This week’s guest interviews is none other than the beautiful, gorgeous, inspiring Candice Aiken from Co-Inside Wellbeing. I am so fortunate to know Candice and her lovely husband Curtis in person – and they are incredibly uplifting and inspiring with their love and passion for everything health + wellness related!
And if you are in Perth, be sure to check out the workshops that they hold as they provide so much value that will improve your life instantly! :)
1. Who are you and what do you do? Tell me more about YOU!
Hi gorgeous, I am Candice Aiken… writer, blogger, speaker, holistic health & life coach and co-creator of Co-inside Wellbeing which I run with my beautiful hubby. I love taking risks, dancing around the house and scoffing raw chocolate when I think no one is looking (usually for breakfast).
I have a serious passion for experiencing a life worth living. I adore helping beautiful souls achieve a level of health and happiness they never knew existed and find their purpose on this earth… which just so happens to be my purpose on this earth. I believe everything happens for a reason, that love really does make the world go round and that laughter is the best medicine.
2. What is your purpose/bliss/passion in life? How did you discover it – and are you following your bliss?
I spent many years in the earlier part of my life battling with low self-esteem, yo-yo’ing weight, addictions, negative self-talk and some major health issues. I had a chip on my shoulder paired with a victim mentality and openly blamed the world for my problems. When enough was enough, I got down on my knees and prayed to God to show me my passion, my bliss and more importantly, my life purpose.
It was when my husband, Curtis, was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2010 that I was really given the kick up the butt I needed to change my life for the better. We decided from that moment on to take our health AND our life into our own hands started living on purpose. We incorporated meditation, yoga, journaling, plant-based food, juices, smoothies and learned to love and respect ourselves. I lost over 25 kg, dumped the addictions and kissed my victim mentality goodbye. With this huge life transformation I became seriously happy and energetic and in the process, learned to use the power of intention to make my dreams come true.
With our joint experiences in overcoming chronic and incurable illnesses, Curtis and I now share our journey and discoveries with the world through our website Co-Inside Wellbeing, coaching, ebooks, lectures and workshops. I have FINALLY found my passion and the meaning of my life which is to live in the moment, just be myself and help as many people that I possibly can to choose health, love life and become the very best version of themselves.
3. Do you have a morning or night routine/ritual? What does it look like?
I actually have a few little routines/rituals which I love. Every morning I wake up to a really pumping dance song and literally dance my way out of bed (I may break out “the sprinkler” from time to time). Curtis is studying NLP (neuro-linguistic programming) so he has been teaching me the importance of anchors. I don’t love waking up to an alarm so this gets me out of bed in a seriously good mood.
Immediately upon waking, I drink a glass of water with apple cider vinegar which is amazing for getting digestion going (then another ½ a litre of water). Then I head on down to my “yoga room” for a session of yoga, meditation, an exercise from ‘A Course in Miracles’ and journalling in candlelight with Curtis. I repeat an affirmation to myself daily – chosen from one of the many plastered all over my bathroom mirror, then a dry body brush & a whole body coconut oil moisturise.
In the evening I do what I love… whatever calls me – I write, I study, I chat with my hubby, I exercise, I call my ma & pa, I jump on my rebounder or another form of exercise. Then, right before bed I make a gratitude list, read a few pages of a book and finish the night with a guided meditation.
4. What are some of your non-negotiables in life?
I am practicing the art of non-attachment (and have just put my wedding dress up for sale to prove my commitment to this) so I try not to see anything as a non-negotiable these days, but in fact something I can live without.
In saying that though, there are a few things that play a huge part in this blessed life of mine:
- Cuddle time with my hubby and my pups
- Yoga and deep breathing
- Connecting with the earth (beach & bush)
- Meditation (loving Deepak Chopra’s guided meditations & Blissitations right now)
- Sound healing
- Seriously nutritious green smoothies & organic food
- Loving earth coconut mylk raw chocolate
- Reading a good book & online courses (I adore learning something new on a daily basis)
5. What does a day in your beautiful life usually look like?
My life is quite packed at the moment as I am still at my full time job and fitting my passion in the mornings and evenings. Weekdays usually look a little something like this:
- 5:30 – 6:30 a.m: dance out of bed, write in my IIN gratitude journal, meditate, yoga, write & an exercise from ‘A Course in Miracles’
- 6:30 – 7:15am: get ready for work and help Curtis in the kitchen to make a green smoothie/lunch
- 8am – 4pm: Work in the city. On the train I read an inspirational book and on lunch breaks I catch up with friends, study or go for a wander to get some fresh air
- 5pm: Take the dogs out for a run with Curtis and/or other form of exercise (rebounder, zumba, ballet)
- 6pm – 7pm: Make & eat dinner
- 7pm – 10pm: Coaching, writing, reading, emails, journaling, meditate then off to bed
My weekends are bliss… I try not to plan too much as my weekdays are a little intense. Sometimes we run workshops, go trekking, go to the beach, food shopping at the local farmers markets, see friends/family, lounge around on the hammock chairs in the backyard and read a book, and write for our blog. I have just introduced a full day each week where I do not go near the computer – usually this is Saturday.
6. Do you have a beauty routine? What are some of the skin care and personal care products that you can’t live without?
My routine is relatively simple. I start the day with ACV and water, then a dry body brush, head to toe coconut oil moisturise, and alternate between various organic oils for my face (LOVE argan and baobab oils right now!). Once a week I will spoil myself with a face mask. I also make my own skincare using ingredients from the earth and use essential oils for perfume… that’s it really.
My favourite products at the moment are Aromabals’ white clay wash rocks, Vanessa Megan shampoo and conditioner, face oils by Halka B, Wot Not facial wipes, Inika, Nude and Bare Minerals cosmetics.
7. What is a piece of advice you wish you knew earlier in life?
Go with the flow and follow your intuition. This is something I wish I knew earlier in life when I was stressing myself out trying to swim against the flow, and giving into the temptation of all the dangling carrots in front of me… usually money in exchange for my soul. I was dead set on trying to live according to someone else’s plan, in line with what society expected of me (and what I expected of myself really) and I was constantly ignoring that niggling feeling in me that there was something more to this life.
I find that now, when I swim with life’s flow and follow my intuition, everything makes much more sense. I am overcome with a sense of clarity, my life has more meaning and stress begins to melt away. This does not mean ‘going with the flow’ will be without its’ challenges… this is far from the truth. However, I find now that the challenges presenting themselves do so to test me, to confirm I really want to do what I am doing and are there to guide me.
8. What are your top 5 health/wellness tips?
- Dance out of bed in the morning… Our alarm tone is a pumping dance tune so we literally dance right out of bed every morning, it’s so much fun & sets us up to have a seriously fun day.
- Find something you love and do it every day… if you are doing what you love then you are living life ‘on purpose’ and will be the happiest most inspiring version of yourself.
- Laugh – lots and lots and lots… Laughter is healing, it’s medicine for the soul. Laugh at yourself, at whatever situation you find yourself in and especially at the world.
- Nourish your body with fresh, local, organic food… It is so incredibly satisfying supporting local farmers and knowing your produce has not been sprayed to within an inch of its life with toxic pesticides. If you can, grow your own herbs and vegies – this is as fresh as you will ever get and it’s so much fun.
- Kiss negative self-talk goodbye… use positive affirmations, journal, meditate or see a health coach or NLP practitioner if you need some guidance in this area. Loving and respecting yourself is just as, if not more important as the food you put into your body.
9. What is your all time favourite…
- Quote: “Strive to be the person your dog thinks you are”
- Food/Recipe: I adore my Superfood Chia Breakfast pudding at any time of day. Here’s the recipe!!
- Colour: Oh it’s hard to pick just one. I would say blue right this very minute as it’s the colour of so many of my favourite things – the sky, the ocean, my hubby’s eyes…
- Song: Anything by Sacred Earth, LOVE Sacred Earth!
- Book: The War of Art by Steven Pressfield – this literally fell into my lap recently and it’s one of the best books I’ve read in a loooong time
- Affirmation: I seek to determine who I want to be
- Film/Documentary: I have a huge list of inspirational movies and docos I adore but my favourite at the moment are Hay House’s ‘Tales of Everyday Magic’ – they are all absolutely incredible!
10. Lastly, what are you most excited about in the future? Do you have any upcoming projects that we can look out for?
One thing in the very near future I am super excited about is my month-long trip to USA. I’ve dreamed of going to NYC for as long as I can remember.
As for the rest of my future, I have a slight idea of where I’d like to be spiritually/emotionally/personally and with my business, but things are evolving every day and the slightest alteration in my path means I may end up somewhere completely different and unexpected. I LOVE that. Every day presents new and exciting opportunities and I am completely and 100% open to it all. I’ve become a bit of a ‘YES woman’ lately and just going with the flow, so I am excited to see what comes of it all.
On upcoming projects… Curtis and I are always working on something new for Co-inside Wellbeing. I am extremely excited in particular about releasing my 2nd e-book and an online program as well as our one-on-one coaching services (Curtis will be a qualified NLP practitioner very soon and I am currently studying with the Institute of Integrative Nutrition). Stayed tuned!
Candice is a blogger, writer, speaker, holistic health coach & spirit junkie. Having struggled for years with addictions, yo-yo’ing weight and numerous health issues, she was always in search of her life purpose. It was when her husband and soul mate, Curtis, was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2010 that she was given the kick up the butt to seriously change her life.
Candice turned to green smoothies, plant-based food, yoga and meditation, and rid herself of her mental and physical weight. She discovered her life purpose which is helping others to choose health & love life and become the very best version of themselves.
Through their blog, workshops and coaching, Candice and Curtis continue to inspire and see incredible transformations in their clients, friends and family.
Right now (and for a limited time only), Candice is offering Co-Inside Wellbeing’s beautiful newsletter subscribers a FREE 3 day meal planner complete with shopping list and 25 simple & healthy recipes. CLICK HERE to sign up for instant access to these goodies as well as a weekly dose of inspiration, health tips & updates that only subscribers will hear about.
Hop over to Co-Inside to check it out!!