This week, I’m stoked to present you one of my beautiful friends I’ve met recently, Lauren! One of my favourite parts of the interview was when she talked about her morning + night routine, and non-negotiables. Check them out below!
1. Who are you and what do you do? Tell me more about YOU (your story, your truth)!
My name is Lauren Rose Burke and I am a Sagittarius, a yogini (training to be a teacher, but it’s tough with the funds of a uni student!), a health food junkie, a shop-a-holic, a Parisian impostor (I tell people I am from Paris, even though I am really not..) and an avid tea drinker who spends her days dreaming of marrying Prince Harry and living in a house made of almonds and goji berries with a stream of coconut water outside…
I am 20 (nearly 21.. OMG) and I have dreamed about studying Nutritional Medicine for years. I am also very brave! This bravery is only a new acquisition though; as for the past few years I have been studying English Literature at Sydney University and making a whollleee lot of people happy – everyone except me!
With the support of loving family members and great friends I have finally freed myself from studying a degree that I had no interest in and am now “home” at Endeavour College of Natural Medicine! I am now using my voice, growing knowledge and the magic of the Internet to share my thoughts, recipes and musings with a beautiful audience!
2. What is your purpose/bliss/passion in life? How did you discover it – and how are you following your bliss?
My passion is health and wellness, through and through! I am a big believer in the healing power of the human body, but this is a power that can only come from within! No one can heal your body, mind and spirit but you!
I am following my bliss by living out my beliefs each and every day, and making decisions that honour and cherish my being. I am also sharing my bliss by becoming as educated as I possibly can about health, nutrition and fitness, and using my voice to help give others a guide in how they too can make choices which honour their body and soul.
3. Do you have a morning or night routine/ritual? What does it look like?
Oh yes definitely!
Every morning I wake up and thank the universe for allowing me to have a wonderful, restorative sleep! I reach across to my bedside table to pick up a book of affirmations – either Treasure Yourself by Miranda Kerr or Inner Wisdom by Louise Hay – and open at random to a positive affirmation. I repeat this affirmation throughout the day, as I believe that the universe for some reason selected that particular affirmation for me for that day! I then practice a few gentle yoga stretches to open my heart and body and a meditation to allow my breathing to be established for the day.
I also use a tongue scraper to remove the toxic build up that has occurred over night! After this I make a cup of warm water with lemon juice and apple cider vinegar to detoxify my system, have a shot of noni juice and drink a large glass of plain water as well! I follow this with a fresh green drink – I am lucky enough to have a Vitamix so there is far less cleaning up than a juicer and I still get all the fibre benefits with a juice consistency!! I add fresh coconut water (I find that I notice such a difference in my skin and energy levels when I include coconut water!), spinach, kale, cucumber, celery, lemon and parsley and blitz! I follow this with a nutritious breakfast and I am good to go for the day!
Night time is all about preparing my body for a restorative sleep, so I ensure that I switch off the television/computer/phone at least an hour before bed. I love to make a soothing camomile tea and head up stairs to my bedroom. While I wait for my tea to cool, I lie on the floor with my legs up the wall and just breathe, followed by whatever yoga postures I feel like I need to unwind from the day such as child’s pose or reclining hero pose.
After this snuggle in to bed, drink my tea and read a nice, quiet book. When I start to feel tired, I will lie down and repeat what my affirmation was for the day, reflecting on how it influenced my life or the meaning it had for me (some days are more obvious than others!) followed by a list of 5 incredible things that happened during the day! After one last affirmation of gratitude “I am safe, I am well, thank you mind for my thoughts, thank you body for my actions, thank you spirit for my beliefs, thank you universe for my day” I drift off into a healing sleep!
4. What are some of your non-negotiables in life?
- Yoga and meditation – every single day, to keep me grounded and focused
- Fresh organic food, water and green drinks
- My favourite songs playing loudly in my living room
- Positive affirmations, these are always the centre of my day
- Love – just showing love and feeling love, which is as simple as a smile!
5. What does a day in your beautiful life usually look like?
No two days are the same! Which I kind of love! Although the order may change, every day for me involves:
- Studying nutritional medicine (either at home revising or at university in class)
- Exercise of some description – the reliever of my stress!
- A meditation practice, and a daily yoga practice – the other reliever of my stress!
- Cooking delicious, wholesome foods
- Having a cup of tea and day debrief with my mum
- Speaking to my friends/seeing my friends – they really do light up your life
- Drinking copious amounts of herbal tea
- Being grateful and positive – not always easy, but always rewarding!
6. Do you have a beauty routine? What are some of the skin care and personal care products that you can’t live without?
I am very particular about skin care and only every use certified organic products! For my face I only use Kora Organics! The Kora products are 100% CERTIFIED organic and are so good for you, you can eat them! (Seriously!) In the morning I use the exfoliating cream, followed by the foaming cleanser in the shower.
I then spritz the energizing citrus mist across my face and neck, and apply some purifying day cream. Instead of foundation I use the tinted day care cream, which is hydrating and gives you light coverage and a beautiful glow! I don’t like wearing make up and try to keep my face as fresh and natural as possible!
I will use a little mascara and apply some organic lip balm – but that’s about it really! I night I reverse the process by cleansing, toning with a healing rose mist, moisturising with hydrating cream and applying a layer of rosehip oil across my skin along with blemish gel and eye cream as needed! I also regularly use the hydrating mask or the clay mask! For my body, I dry body brush every morning to stimulate my lymphatic system and after my shower apply virgin organic coconut oil all over my body!
7. What is a piece of advice you wish someone told you earlier in life, or you wish you knew?
“It’s ok not to have it all right now”– granted my extremely wise and beautifully kind mother told me this time and time again, I just wish I had the courage to believe it and follow my bliss when I knew exactly what I wanted to do! Mums always know!
8. What are your top 5 health/wellness/happiness tips?
- Eat as much alkaline food as possible – this means water, greens, vegetables and ripe fruits!
- Move your butt every day! Even if that means just going for a walk! No one has ever, ever in the history of the world, ever worked out then said “wow I wish I didn’t do that!”
- Be in touch with nature, even for just a few minutes a day! Walk barefoot on the grass or sand, sit by a tree or swim in the ocean – reconnect with the earth and feel your body and spirit balance.
- Choose to be grateful and to be positive – recite positive affirmations to yourself every single day! It may seem strange at first, but your energy and positivity levels will soar! Only you can turn your day around! Create a vision board filled with positive quotes and images for you to look at every day!
- Be kind to yourself, if you don’t treat yourself well how do you expect everyone else to? Put on your favourite song and dance, read some of your favourite book, meditate – whatever makes you smile!
9. What is your all time favourite…
- Quote: “Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” – Steve Jobs This quote sits on my vision board, and I love to read it every day.
- Food/Recipe: To me, perfection is a plate of fresh, lightly steamed, organic vegetables with some quinoa, a sprinkle or pepitas/sunflower seeds and nori strips. Simple food is always best! If I am feeling extravagant I love to serve it with my favourite peanut-coconut satay sauce! I also love raw cacao-super food balls, tamari almonds and I feel comforted and nourished by a healing macrobiotic bowl of miso soup with vegetables, brown rice and seaweed!
- Colour: pink!
- Song: I could never pick just one! My iPod is like a mish-mash of music! My favourite artists are John Mayer, Fleetwood Mac, the Beatles, David Bowie, the Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash as well as Jay Z, Alicia Keys, Kanye West and Coldplay! I told you – no rhyme or reason, just great music!
- Book: Treasure Yourself by Miranda Kerr
- Affirmation: “Whatever happens, I know I can handle it” – Louise Hay
- Film/Documentary: Breakfast at Tiffany’s
10. Lastly, what are you most excited about in the future? Do you have any upcoming projects that we can look out for?
The future is always exciting! I am spending a lot of time and energy growing my website, and will start posting interviews with beautiful souls, more recipes, more tips very soon! I am also hoping to start a little web series to start spreading even more joy! But for now, I am so content learning as much as I can about nutrition and health!
Lauren Rose Burke is a yogini and Nutritional Medicine student from sunny Sydney! She is a firm believer in the power of a fresh, healthy diet, regular exercise, grounding meditation, positive affirmations and surrounding yourself with love to achieve the best life possible!
Combing her love of writing with her passion for health and wellness, Lauren has branched out and created her own website so that she can share her tips and recipes! You can also follow Lauren on Twitter for regular updates and advice for honouring your mind, body and spirit.
Remember to hit ‘LIKE’ or share and tweet it out if you feel that you’ve gained valuable insight from Lauren! :)