Hello awesome you!
2 more months till the end 2012 — can you believe it? I’m finishing off the year with two inspiring interviews (one each month as a countdown to next year)! Finish the year with a bang! Let us be inspired to shine by these gorgeous ladies who are wondrous lightworkers that share their gifts with us. :)
I couldn’t possibly find someone more beautiful than this goddess here — Rachel MacDonald (or formerly known as Rachel Magahy) from In Spaces Between to be the Inspiring Interview of November. (Little known fact: When I first discovered In Spaces Between, I spent my whole weekend just pouring through a year’s worth of Rachel’s blog posts + soaking up her passion and enthusiasm on her blog!)
Without further ado, here’s the interview. Thank you, Rachel – for gracing us with your sparkly presence and energy. She is possibly the most elegant person I know, who seems to find poise and balance in everything she does effortlessly. Such a goddess! ♥
1. Who are you and what do you do? Tell me more about YOU (your story, your truth)!
Hello lovers! I’m Rachel MacDonald (new married name – you may know me as Rachel Magahy) and alongside my “day job” as a digital communications exec, I spend mornings/ nights/ lunch breaks/ weekends dishing up a mega dose of love and inspiration on my blog In Spaces Between.
I’m Sagittarian to the core and get high on learning new things and connecting with sweet souls. When I’m not tapping away on the keys, you can find me laughing (deep belly-style) with my girlfriends, cuddling up to my husband, dreaming up new adventures, moving my body, taking photos and burying my nose in a good book.
2. What is your purpose/bliss/passion in life? How did you discover it – and how are you following your bliss?
I’m passionate about bringing women together and empowering them to go out and grab their magnificent lives with both hands.
I’ve loved to write and communicate since I was a teeny girl – my parents love to tell the story that I started talking quite early and never shut up from then on in – and I always knew that I would marry up that desire to connect and communicate with my unshakeable belief that we can all live radiant, deeply fulfilling lives doing what we love.
I think everything I’ve done and learnt to date has brought me closer to my “purpose” or bliss – most importantly, starting In Spaces Between a year ago – and I can’t wait to see what the Universe has in store for me moving forward!
3. Do you have a morning or night routine/ritual? What does it look like?
I try and flow with life as much as I can because lately the weeks have been full of delightful and unexpected surprises but that said, I do love a bit of structure and my mornings always involve visualising my word or feeling for the day, exercising, and writing the things I’m manifesting in my “Magic Moleskine” (the diary I use to unleash my big dreams).
At night, I’ll often light a scented candle as soon as I walk in the door from work and will either jot down the things I’m grateful for or chat about them with my husband before we go to sleep. Nothing like loading up on love before drifting off to sleep!
4. What are some of your non-negotiables in life?
- Exercise (my happiness depends on it)
- Love ‘n’ cuddles with my incredible husband.
- Greens, water and nourishing food that supports and pumps my energy right up.
- Writing and connecting with my beautiful readers.
- Reading and learning.
5. What does a day in your beautiful life usually look like?
I wake up at 5:15am every day (5:45am on weekends when my body decides to give me an extra half an hour) and after a short visualisation in bed to set the tone for my day, I get up and get ready to head outside to exercise by the beach. I’ve been working on breaking my habit of checking Facebook/ Twitter/ Instagram/ email on my phone in bed, and some days I’m good at sticking to that… others, not so much (yet!)
The best part of my day is when I’m outside energising and moving my body – I’m a huge fan of where I live! – and by the time I get home around 7am, I’m juiced up and ready to dive into the day ahead. I’ll normally finish a blog post, answer emails and respond to comments before 8am and then I trot off to work where I do my thing until around 5:30pm.
My creativity definitely peaks in the morning but I spend most nights on the computer doing bloggy things, and then I’ll often finish up the day with a short meditation (love Gabby Bernstein’s) or a few chapters of my book. All things going to plan, I’m out like a light by 9:30pm!
6. Do you have a beauty routine? What are some of the skin care and personal care products that you can’t live without?
I adore Trilogy rosehip oil, coconut oil and Sodashi products (seriously delicious – their Brightening Marine Mineral Mask and Rejuvenating Moisturiser are THE BEST). I also wear sunscreen daily, exfoliate once every couple of days with a Lush Ocean Salt scrub and feed my skin from within with spirulina capsules and chia seeds.
If I really need to ramp up the glow a few gazillion notches – like I did for my wedding a few months ago – I book in for an Omnilux LED light treatment. The “revive” light seriously rocks!
7. What is a piece of advice you wish someone told you earlier in life, or you wish you knew?
When you start following your passion, the odds are that you’ll work harder than you ever have before – but it’s the kind of work that triggers something deep within you. It’s the kind of work that you lose hours doing, that you can’t wait to rush home and dive into, the kind that brings you alive. The old cliché is so true: “When you’re doing something you love, it won’t feel like work.” I absolutely know that to be true now.
8. What are your top 5 health/wellness/happiness tips?
- Practice extreme self-care. If your health slides, everything else slides too. Make exercise, healthy eating, ‘you time’ and relaxation a non-negotiable so all other aspects of your life can flourish as a result.
- Simple pleasures can often bring the most joy. Fresh flowers from the farmers markets. A juicy mango. Random positive reminders in your phone. Dancing around the lounge room. Chanting power words in the mirror when you’re feeling flat or frustrated (bonus points for pulling silly faces – I guarantee you’ll be laughing your butt off in no time!) I’ve done this on several occasions at work and always giggle to myself as I walk back to my desk… while everyone else silently questions my sanity. :)
- Vision boards work. Without-a-freaking-doubt.
- You’re always in control. Of your thoughts, the way you react, the way you choose to live your life, the ‘story’ you tell yourself. Owning that is beyond empowering.
- Sugary food in the morning = sugar cravings all day. I don’t know about you, but I ALWAYS find this to be true. Start the day right and fill up on green smoothies and protein instead.
9. What is your all time favourite…
Two of my faves are:
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
– MARIANNE WILLIAMSON
“Everyone has this giant, luminous being that is their true self… Everyone is a sleeping giant, so to speak, waiting to hear the call, waiting to surrender to it, waiting to act on it. We’ve gotten caught up in thinking we are what we look like, the physical, the exterior. We think we’re the lamp shade. We’ve forgotten that we are the light—the electricity and the luminosity that lights up every man, woman, and child. The light is who we truly are.”
– MICHAEL BERNARD BECKWITH
- Food/Recipe: Can I say chocolate here?! Ok… yes… chocolate. Currently adoring Pana’s mint choc. Yum.
- Colour: Ooh that’s a toughie! I think if I had to choose it would be a ménage a trois of turquoise/ aqua, coral pink and HOT PINK, BABY!
- Song: I’m still deeply moved by James Vincent McMorrow’s version of ‘Higher Love’ (the song I walked down the aisle to a few months ago)
- Book: The Firestarter Sessions by Danielle LaPorte – total game-changer.
- Affirmation: “I am blessed and supported in everything I do.”
- Film/Documentary: I don’t think I could choose one but for inspiration, I can’t go past TED Talks and Oprah’s Super Soul Sunday vids.
10. Lastly, what are you most excited about in the future? Do you have any upcoming projects that we can look out for?
I’ve just launched my first eBook (a freebie) and I’m planning to create another one in the not too distant future. I’m also going to be steering my ship in the direction of a coaching career and have a few things up my sleeve for my blog, so watch this space!
Rachel MacDonald (nee Magahy) is a soul-centred writer, social media maven and wildly enthusiastic community builder. Her life’s mission is to help bright sparks like you create and live bigger, bolder, richer, more radiant lives.
In little over a year, In Spaces Between has become the go-to for juicy inspiration, confidence building, fear fighting and mindset shifting. A visit to the site – there’s 25,000 of those a month – has been likened to a big ol’ hit of happiness. Straight to the soul.
Rachel has just released her first eBook More Magic, All the Time: 20 Ways to Create Your Best Life Ever, which you can get your hands on for FREE by clicking here.
P/S: Are you BUZZING with inspiration already? I know I am! Leave a comment & let me know which BIGGIE you’ve walked away with!!