It’s my pleasure to share and feature the amazing Vari Longmuir from Buttercup Ink for this week’s guest interview! I truly think Vari is a superb wonder woman. She’s a mother, an entrepreneur, a design mastermind and above all – such an inspiring and beautiful soul! Enjoy this interview and feel free to share the love!!!
1. Who are you and what do you do? Tell me more about YOU!
Hey! I’m Vari, owner of Buttercup Ink: an online branding and graphic design studio for small businesses and entrepreneurs. I work with both new and established businesses setting the perfect tone for their brand to ensure that it’s in perfect alignment with their own personal beliefs and voice.
Originally from Glasgow, Scotland, I now live in Melbourne’s inner west with my husband and two delicious boys.
2. What is your purpose/bliss/passion in life? How did you discover it – and how are you following your bliss?
I think our purpose in life is ever changing. I don’t believe that we are here for solely one reason. At the moment, my purpose in my business is to support and serve other like-minded businesses and help make their vision for their business a reality.
This is a delicate balance with being available to my boys for guidance and support as they grow. It has been said many times before but our children really do teach us more than we could ever possibly teach them. I learn from them every day and am so honoured to have these teachers in my life.
3. Do you have a morning or night routine/ritual? What does it look like?
My yoga practice is so important to me and had let it slip a while back. I’ve now started to wake early to give myself ‘me’ time in the morning before the rest of the house wakes. I wake around 5:30, give myself 15 minutes in bed to just be and think of the day ahead. Then it’s time for my yoga practice. I aim for an hour but sometimes it’s cut short by the little people! I used to get frustrated if my practice was interrupted and I didn’t get the chance to finish properly but I’ve taught myself to be a little more gentle and accepting of the potential interruptions. I love that I start the day on my terms and at my pace rather than having to instantly respond to the needs of others the second my eyes open.
Before bed, I write my gratitude list. It’s the perfect way to reflect on the events of the day and be truly thankful for all the miracles around me.
4. What are some of your non-negotiables in life?
Exercise. I owe it to myself, family and clients to be the best I can be and exercise reconnects me with my true self. I’ve learned to listen to what my body needs. I no longer feel the need to hit the gym 4 days a week. Some days are high impact, cardio session while others are more gentle and nurturing like a walk or some restorative yoga.
5. What does a day in your beautiful life usually look like?
Running a business from home with two little boys, there’s no such thing as a typical day! But this is generally how it goes…
- 5:30 wake.
- Yoga then get the boys and myself ready for the day.
- Shopping/walk/beachtime with the boys.
- Home for lunch.
- Set my 3 year old up with an activity while my 8 month old sleeps to allow me to get some work done.
- Afternoon walk to the park/post office.
- Home for dinner.
- Bath time with my boys – I get 10 minutes to myself before they come in. Bliss!
- Depending on workload, I might work for an hour or two once the boys have gone to bed, otherwise it’s time to relax with my husband.
- Bed around 10:30.
Saturday mornings are MY time. I go to my outdoor exercise class nice and early then pick up the coffee’s and brekkie stuff on the way home. A great way to start the weekend.
6. Do you have a beauty routine? What are some of the skin care and personal care products that you can’t live without?
I’m pretty much a ‘soap + water’ girl. I don’t have any special lotions or potions I use. Just a basic moisturiser or some coconut oil. My most recent ‘must have’ hair product is texturizing powder. It’s GOLD if you have short hair!
7. What is a piece of advice you wish someone told you earlier in life, or you wish you knew?
That you have the ability to change your life/circumstances in an INSTANT. You just have to change the way you view it.
8. What are your top 5 health/wellness/happiness tips?
- Break a sweat.
- Take 10 minutes every day to do something just for you. Something that brings you joy.
- Learn to say no.
- Be conscious of your posture.
9. What is your all time favourite…
- Quote: “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…” –Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You’ll Go!
- Food/Recipe: My husband’s red pesto pasta with chicken, leek and mushrooms. YUM!
- Colour: I love ALL colours but I’ve got a little soft spot for red at the moment
- Song: Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol
- Book: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- Affirmation: I am always being guided.
- Film/Documentary: The hope and optimism of a rom com makes me feel happy. I love Nancy Meyers movies. The set design is just so beautiful!
10. Lastly, what are you most excited about in the future? Do you have any upcoming projects that we can look out for?
I’m SO excited about he launch of my very first online workshop at the end of the month! It teaches business owners to DIY their social media graphics. I love that I can share my knowledge and design skills with my clients to give them the tools to take control of this area of their business.
We’ve also got a trip back to Scotland in October for the wedding of my sister and one of my dearest friends.
Vari Longmuir is the creative brain behind Buttercup Ink – an online branding + graphic design studio for small businesses + entrepreneurs. She’s your go-to-gal to get your business runway ready!